The case of three burials - A forensic case book
The details of this case have been omitted in order to maintain anonymity.
An elderly male was reported missing from his home by his family. Initially, an inquiry and missing person's docket was opened. On investigation, several suspicious findings, along with other emerging evidence led to the case being changed into one of kidnapping.
Unbeknown to the investigating officers, around the same time a body had been found buried in a shallow grave about 200 kilometers from the missing person's home (First burial). The body had been taken to the state mortuary were a post-mortem was performed. At that stage there was no connection made to the missing person's case and after the body remained unclaimed, the corpse was given a pauper's funeral (Second burial).
2. Pretty IA, Sweet D. A look at forensic dentistry-Part 1: The role of teeth in the determination of human identity. Br Dent J. 2001; 190(7): 359-66.
3. Richmond R, Pretty IA. Denture marking-patient preference of various methods. J Forensic Sci. 2007; 52(6): 1338-42.
4. Bathala LR, Rachuri NK, Rayapati SR, Kondaka S. Pros-thodontics an "arsenal" in forensic dentistry. J Forensic Dent Sci. 2016; 8(3): 173.
5. Gosavi S, Gosavi S. Forensic odontology: A prostho-dontic view. J Forensic Dent Sci. 2012; 4(1): 38-41.
6. Inoue M, Hanaoka Y, Minaguchi K. Personal Identification by DNA Analysis of Samples from Dental Prostheses Made of Acrylic Resin. The Bulletin of Tokyo Dental College. 2000; 41(4): 175-85.
7. Chalian VA, Sayoc AM, Ghalichebaf M, Schaeffer L. Identification of removable dental prosthesis. J Prosthet Dent. 1986; 56(2): 254-6.
8. Bernitz H, Blignaut J. An inclusion technique for marking dentures. J Forensic Odontostomatol. 1998; 16(1): 14-6.
9. Richmond R, Pretty IA. The use of radio-frequency identification tags for labeling dentures-scanning properties. J Forensic Sci. 2009; 54(3): 664-8.
10. Borrman HI, DiZinno JA, Wasen J, Rene N. On denture marking. J Forensic Odontostomatol. 1999; 17(1): 20-6.
11. Cunningham M, Hoad-Reddick G. Attitudes to identification of dentures: the patients' perspective. Quintessence Int. 1993; 24(4): 267-70.
12. Richmond R, Pretty IA. The teaching of denture marking methods in dental schools in the United Kingdom and the United States. J Forensic Sci. 2009; 54(6):1407-10.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Copyright for all articles is retained by the author/s of the individual articles.