Diffuse gingival enlargement with stromal calcifications occurring in a background of amelogenesis imperfecta - An oral medicine case book
A 12-year-old female patient presented with diffusely enlarged fibrous gingivae, enamel hypoplasia, an anterior open bite and impacted permanent maxillary canines (Figures 1-4). The patient's mother reported that the child had an unremarkable medical history and was currently not taking any medications. Radiographic examination showed features of amelogenesis imperfecta affecting all erupted teeth and the impacted permanent maxillary canines (Figure 4).
The clinical differential diagnosis included hereditary gingival fibromatosis or diffuse peripheral odontogenic fibromas involving both the maxilla and mandible. Gin-givectomies from the anterior maxillary and mandibular regions were performed and submitted for histological assessment.
2. Khera P, Zirwas MJ, English JC. Diffuse gingival enlargement. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005; 52(3 Pt 1): 491-9.
3. Neville BW, Damm DD, Allen CM, Chi AC. Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. Fourth edition. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier; 2016.
4. Witkop CJ, Jr. Amelogenesis imperfecta, dentinogenesis imperfecta and dentin dysplasia revisited: Problems in classification. J Oral Pathol. 1988; 17(9-10): 547-53.
5. Peters E, Cohen M, Altini M. Rough hypoplastic amelo-genesis imperfecta with follicular hyperplasia. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1992; 74(1): 87-92.
6. Macedo GO, Tunes RS, Motta AC, Passador-Santos F, Grisi MM, Souza SL, et al. Amelogenesis imperfecta and unusual gingival hyperplasia. J Periodontol. 2005; 76(9): 1563-6.
7. Cherkaoui Jaouad I, El Alloussi M, Chafai El Alaoui S, Laarabi FZ, Lyahyai J, Sefiani A. Further evidence for causal FAM20A mutations and first case of amelogenesis imperfecta and gingival hyperplasia syndrome in Morocco: a case report. BMC Oral Health. 2015; 15: 14.
8. Gokce K, Canpolat C, Ozel E. Restoring function and esthetics in a patient with amelogenesis imperfecta: A case report. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2007; 8(4): 95-101.
9. Akin H, Tasveren S, Yeler DY. Interdisciplinary approach to treating a patient with amelogenesis imperfecta: A clinical report. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2007; 19(3): 131-5; discussion 6.
10. Gunhan O, Gardner DG, Bostanci H, Gunhan M. Familial gingival fibromatosis with unusual histologic findings. J Periodontol. 1995; 66(11): 1008-11.
11. Rao N, Carnelio S. Amelogenesis imperfecta with gingival calcification: A rare presentation. Brazilian Journal of Oral Sciences. 2015; 4(15): 932-5.
12. Kappadi D, Ramasetty PA, Rai KK, Rahim AM. Regional odontodysplasia: An unusual case report. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2009; 13(2): 62-6.
13. Brennan MT, O'Connell BC, Rams TE, O'Connell AC. Management of gingival overgrowth associated with generalized enamel defects in a child. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 1999; 23(2): 97-101.
14. Yaprak E, Subasi MG, Avunduk M, Aykent F. Amelogenesis imperfecta and generalized gingival overgrowth resembling hereditary gingival fibromatosis in siblings: A case report. Case Rep Dent. 2012; 2012: 428423.
15. Chen CF, Hu JC, Bresciani E, Peters MC, Estrella MR. Treatment considerations for patient with amelogenesis imperfecta: A review. Braz Dent Sci. 2013; 16(4): 7-18.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Copyright for all articles is retained by the author/s of the individual articles.