Mission and vision
To support good-quality, peer-reviewed, open-access South African journals to adhere to best practice and to enhance their reach through optimising accessibility, discoverability, indexability, interoperability and visibility.
ASSAf’s vision for the Khulisa Journals platform is to sustain and grow the hosting service in the long term, and maintain and develop the functionality provided on the platform in line with best practice and ASSAf’s mission.
Meet the Khulisa Journals editors and their journals
Criteria for inclusion on Khulisa Journals
In line with ASSAf’s mission and vision to provide assistance to journals and grow the platform, eligible journals are welcome to apply to join. Eligible journals are those that:
- are included on the SciELO SA Collection OR
- have received a recommendation from an ASSAf peer review panel for inclusion on SciELO SA and meet the criteria for inclusion on SciELO SA.
Benefits for journals
Journals hosted on the Khulisa Journals platform benefit in many different ways.
- ASSAf is merely a host, and the journal/society/organisation continues to be the publisher.
- Copyright is not transferred to ASSAf, and the journal/society/organisation/author/s continue to remain the copyright owner/s, as specified in the journal policy.
- Each and every journal is unique, and we therefore encourage journals to add their own branding, unique policies, and more.
- Journals share a federated platform, and therefore all journals benefit when new feautures or functionalities are added.
- Association is of importance in the scholarly environment. Only established and ASSAf recommended journals are considered for inclusion.
- Comprehensive training is available, and we take pride in the fact that we work with individual editors and individual journals, supporting them and acknowledging them as partners which are part of a motivated, energetic, and knowledgeable team. We also do not hesitate to learn from one another, and to challenge ourselves.
- ASSAf through its Scholarly Publishing Programme and SciELO SA, is in itself a leader on the continent in scholarly publishing best practice. Not only is ASSAf mandated by the DHET to conduct independent peer-reviews of South African scholarly journals, but we also direct scholarly publishing on national level through the SA National Code of Best Practice in Scholarly Journal Publishing, Editing and Peer-Review. Editors therefore have access to a spread of experts in this field, being part of Open Access since the early 90’s, when the Internet took off. Collectively we come a long way!
- The automated e-workflow assists editors with keeping track of all editorial activities, and at the same time all activities are recorded for auditing purposes.
- Journals are indexed by Google and DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals), which make them highly visible.
- We take pride in staying in touch with our journal editors through two bi-annual editorial meetings, a monthly newsletter, as well as one-on-one communication.
- And many more!
Become part of Khulisa Journals
South African scholarly journals are encouraged to get in touch and discuss the possibility of being included on this platform. Send an email to email@example.com